Responsible to: VP Sales
Location: Perth, Scotland
Contract type: Full Time
Desired Industry Experience:
5+ years – Experienced in Machine Vision projects
Academic Qualification: MSc
About the organisation
TPL Vision produces high brightness LED illumination solutions for the Identification, Robotics and Machine Vision industries. Our range helps clients to deliver quality products and ensure traceability using Machine Vision Solutions. Our products help to improve robustness, eliminate production errors, lower manufacturing costs, and exceed consumer expectations for high quality products. Typical applications for machine vision include detecting defects, monitoring production lines, guiding assembly robots, tracking, sorting and identifying parts.
TPL Vision is experiencing consistently high sales growth, resulting in the need for a Senior Applications Engineer, based at our offices in Perth, Scotland. Reporting to the VP of Sales, the role involves working with our customers to enable the design-in of TPL Vision solutions. Working within our team of sales executives, technical sales and product management, this role is an exciting opportunity within a well-established, dynamic business.
About the roleAs a Senior Applications Engineer, part of your job is conduct pre-sales feasibility studies, customer presentations, and on-site trials. Also, you will determine the right combination of lighting and demonstrate an optimum solution for high-profile and challenging opportunities.
Another part of your job is to understand customers’ problems and constraints, anticipate their needs, and help define new product designs when necessary.
Lastly you will be responsible for our in-house exec sales training program about how to use illuminations from our range.
International mobility is required for this role.
DutiesThe work carried out can be very busy juggling different projects. It includes some of the following:
- Use CRM (database) for all aspects of the sales support process;
- Timely and efficient completion of pre-sales evaluations: gather specifications/samples, determine optimal hardware configuration, test/verify solution, provide written recommendations;
- Install and support trial systems to demonstrate to customers that TPL Vision equipment works as expected;
- For new product needs: meeting with clients to establish the design brief, including the concept, performance and production criteria, and introducing existing product platforms;
- Serve as TPL Vision product expert: respond to technical questions from customers and salespeople;
- Support trade shows;
- Provide product feedback to the CEO and VP Sales;
- Continuous improvement of competencies, both personally & within the company.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong presentation, communication, organisational and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Commercial awareness; understanding of and sensitivity to the sales cycle;
- Ability to handle challenging customer situations;
- Good understanding of mechanical, electrical and industrial automation systems, and knowledge of industrial processes/techniques and standards; previous experience in machine vision projects / applications is highly desirable;
- PC literate with a working knowledge of MS Windows applications;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative environment;
- Ability to travel, typically upto 50% of the time, mainly in Europe, occasional US/ROW trips – should be willing to travel on short notice;
- High degree of technical knowledge balanced with creative ability and a hands-on approach;
- Technical degree / qualification in related discipline;
- A willingness to build and maintain positive working relationships and to share information with others;
- Determination to achieve an end result, and optimism and enthusiasm when things don’t go to plan;
- Proactive, with a solution-finding approach;
- Fluent in English (spoken and written); other European languages are highly desirable.
Applicants should send a covering letter stating which role you are applying for, your industry experience and salary expectation, along with a CV to: